PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Integrated Courses, You Poor Humans!
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2008, 11:57
Aerospace101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a reality check

The person that started this thread clearly has a chip on their shoulder about integrated students.

The reality of the current situation is that EVERYONE IN TRAINING now is going to face a very harsh future. I think the only people who are safe are the modular students in groundschool training, because its the cheapest point to bail out of. Anyone who has started any form of flying is going to be burning cash for years to keep whatever rating or point in training current.

I feel VERY SORRY for all of you who rececntly finished courses. When you set out no one saw this disaster coming. Flight training inherintly carries risk. Getting a job is half luck as it is hard work. If you finish training when there are no jobs you have no chance.

However, for those of you out there starting self funded training courses in the current climate, I have absolutely no sympathy for you. You know there wont many jobs in a year or so, yet many seem to continue signing away parents houses etc. Even those of you who are mature students, having saved up for years, or changed career, still happy to burn vast sums of cash.

Im not saying there wont be any jobs. There will be a few airline positions around. Most likely these will be going to experienced pilots NOT low hour grads.

Out of all the fATPL holders last year I would estimate 50% were getting airline employment. Maybe 25% instructing/air taxi/corporate etc And 25% no jobs in flying.

At the moment, and for the next few years we are talking about maybe 5% at best of fATPL holders getting airline employment. Thats 1 in 20. Now, you need to ask youself what makes you that 1:20 statistic - because 95% of you wont be getting a RHS first officer position.

There are fellow students on here giving the same advice, however they dont want to see you start training because it introduces more competition for them for jobs. FTOs just want your money. They can quite happily say 'its business as usual', 'when you finish training jobs will pick up'. They want you training - they want to make money. I graduated years ago, I have an airline job. It doesnt affect me if you start training or not.

One last time - I plead with you: if all you want to do is go into airline employment after training do something more productive over the next few years. The numbers are not on your side. If you have money to burn go back to education/uni. Get a proper job. Whatever you do, dont waste money on training - it will get ugly and very painful for you.

DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU!