PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2008, 11:45
Southernboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps

Justme69, thanks for your always informed and excellent posts, without them I would have been unable to get such a full picture of the event & for sure we have all had our awareness raised by it.

Re your last post, does anybody know if there could be any link between the TOWS disablement & the flap indications? Whilst I agree that it's SOP failure not to have the TOWS check in the system, it has also been known for pilots to read & call an action yet not actually look to ensure things are what they should be - another SOP failure.

I'm reluctant to suggest that these guys failed to follow SOPs thoroughly but does anybody know what training / SOP standards were/are like in Spanair? It's certainly an area I'd want to look at if I were investigating this.

Incidentally, Spanish media reports that Spanair have lost 11 million Euros worth of business since the crash. A reminder of that excellent saying, "If you think safety is expensive try having an accident." Given the SEPLA letter that preceded this event, I hope Spanair (& other airline's) management reflect on just how good their, "cost saving & efficiency measures," have been.

Last edited by Southernboy; 9th Oct 2008 at 08:48. Reason: Typo