PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2008, 10:47
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hempy,
I'm not sure where you are coming from.

A phone call at 5am to attend at 6am, could never be deemed to be reasonable. A day or 2 notice could be called reasonable. The aisle I work in Brisbane probably now has 70% with school age children, 5 years ago it was about 15%. Its called work/life balance, and the demographic was pointed out over 6 years ago.

TFN has traded on the controllers goodwill, and professional pride, to never have airspace closures for his entire tenure. His short-term bonus driven culture has been underpinned by this. The profits ASA have delivered to the government have been due to the airlines flying more and the cut in controller numbers.His forays have been more about growing the global brand, and how much has that cost?

The Board allowed him his way, because profits were up. They brought him in as a 'cost cutter', and his bonuses were predicated on this, and he has delivered short term. Long term his actions have led us to this point. ASA have a catch phrase of 'Leaders Leading'. Well when the CEO is remunerated for a short term result it should come as no surprise to the Board where we are being led to! The Board have a lot to answer for in this debacle.

Their only recourse is to continue to back the 'Smoke and Mirrors' man or be exposed to being asleep at the wheel." Golly, I thought this was an easy gig, no-one told me I was actually supposed to provide some oversight"

People will allow their lives to be decimated for the common good for only so long. Three years this idiot was given to make good his promises, and for three years he has had a short term outlook. His comments in the media only serve to inflame the situation. I have sympathy for JH, I believe he is trying, with one hand tied behind his back, to achieve something.

TFNs personality does not allow him to admit fault and move forward. He has seriously misjudged the mood of the controllers, and is trying to convince himself that Civilair is behind some self perceived industrial campaign rather than that he, and his team, has terribly mismanaged the situation.

TFN may be time for the Golden Parachute, or as ASA love to put it out " He has left to pursue other opportunities"

Last edited by max1; 8th Oct 2008 at 11:05.