PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 7th Oct 2008, 21:54
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>I never understand why engine failures are almost always simulated after take off or in the cruise. In some respects one of the most dangerous failure modes is an engine failure in the descent in IMC, particularly if and when power is needed to arrest the descent.<

Fuji

Regarding descent in twins I usually leave cruise power set and descend with 1000 fpm. This may take the aircraft into the yellow arc which is fine in clear air or stable type clouds. On approach again I use drag in various forms gear or flap and try to carry power to the flair point.

There are two reasons firstly to keep the engines warm but secondly so you are not in the awkward position of a closed throttle and finding there is nothing there when you need it. thirdly there is an arguement about clawing back the speed you lost in the climb sector by trading altitude for speed in the descent sector.

With a twin you do have the benefit that if one engine doesnt open up you have the other and can control your profile with the one engine . In a single that is more important and I never understand the wisdom of being high and coming down with a closed throttle. The argument being to keep high so that you can make the runway in the event of a failure. In a single better to train to look for other landing points left or right of the approach than fixating on a distant runway which has to be the killer.

To me that is a false conception. Better to have a powered approach with the other benefits of air over the wing roots and tail and better control over the touchdown point than the closed throttle.

More emphasis is placed in the climb out as that is the highest risk area, followed by the cruise which should be more procedural.

The descent does not hold such a high risk. Mainly because you can trade height for speed and the engines are not so stressed as in the full or climb power scenario. I remember in my single engine days being told to warm the engine every now and again when maybe it should have been to check that the unit was still running.

Finally especially in the bigger stuff it is normal to fly engine out for an ILS or other approaches engine out to touchdown in tests and I have had that in twins too. Any examiner worth his salt will put you through that and even ask for a go around from the flair single engine.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Oct 2008 at 22:15.