PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 21:42
OliV2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob makes a very important point. From my PPL **UNTRAINED** eye, this looks like it will be a very interesting case. The field they landed in is a disused airbase and a long way from anywhere. Was the absolute nearest place able to handle the '330 I suspect. Can any QF drivers comment on the mayday combined with the choice of field - just wondering (not saying!) if the big cheese up front suspected loss of control surface and/or other serious failures (was this uncommanded pitch/yaw??) or if (as others have suggested) the call was made based on a quick assessment of injuries etc. Either way, one more question from me for those that know (any QF techies?): What sort of gear will QF need to haul up there in order to carry out basic analysis of the state of the plane before it can be ferried? What typically would this involve and what challenges are they going to face given where she is parked? Thanks for indulging me. Good luck to all those injured and to the tech crew who will no doubt be in for hours of investigation and analysis of their every move and well done to said crew as well as CC for what passengers are all saying was a job well done.

Last edited by OliV2; 7th Oct 2008 at 21:45. Reason: Font...wierd.