PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 7th Oct 2008, 14:16
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Seems like a lot of unnecessary emotion in this thread. The bottom line is the more complex the aircraft and the more demanding the flying conditions the more training (both initial and recurrent) required to safely operate the aircraft. I think the reason light twins have a bad accident history is almost entirely related to the fact that most private twin owners do not attain and maintain a adequate level of piloting proficency. I know that sounds harsh but it is an opinion I hold based on what I have personally witnessed over many years.

By defintion a twin will be safer than a single but only if you have he skill to be able to manage an engine failure during any part of a flight.

With respect to single engine IFR I can't help but remember a conversation at the local club lounge a few years ago. Just after a young buck allowed as how he had absolutely no problem flying singles in hard IFR, my friend (a vastly experienced pilot with over 40 yrs flying experience from bush to airlines) walked in. I asked how many hours of single IFR time he had. He thought about it for a while and said "maybe 10hrs". Then it dawned on me what I had asked and so I added "how many hours of single engine IFR in an airplane with only one engine ?" He gave me a puzzled look and said "You gotta be crazy to fly a single IFR ! "