PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 13:56
[email protected]

Received 644 Likes on 282 Posts
Ralph - more often only some of the kit in the Jock's Box is removed but the whole thing can be taken out as well if max range is absolutely crucial. As SAR Sea Kings have got better equipped (including the FLIR turret) there are more compromises that need to be made and the crew have to decide what they will and won't take.

I do know of one occasion when everything was taken out and then only those items deemed essential for the job were put back on - unfortunately someone forgot that flying to Eire for refuel might require the IRISH map-pack......OOOps.

However, even without removing anything, the RAF Sea Kings can still far exceed the RoA of the S-92

Doc Brown - I believe the crews are very happy with the S-92 apart from the lack of MRGB ELS but I am told the 139 has been melting driveshaft covers as it was never designed to spend a long time in the hover. The small cabin is not popular either but it does go fast.

Another thread on the forum states that the ex-Bristows S 61s have been bought up and shipped off to Carson and that many Sea King and S61 operators are planning to keep using them way into the 2020s - a Carson refit of our Sea Kings plus some modern avionics would keep Mil SAR going for long enough for the Govt to save up to replace them instead of borrowing even MORE money (prudence, what prudence?) for a new MCA Empire.

There are rumours that there is to be a parlimentary debate over the future of SAR and I think some pointed questions will be asked by the shadow cabinet about the SARH process.

I suspect the credit crunch will end up putting the mockers on the whole thing since all public finances will come under the microscope as lending becomes far more selective.