PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BULLDOG Info required please.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 09:28
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having completed RAF Elementary Flying Training on the mighty Bulldog I am very fond of the aeroplane and would love to fly one again.

Off the top of my head:

Fuel burn for planning purposes was 10.7 GPH, rounded to 12 GPH to make the mental arithmetic easier. This would give an endurance of 2h30 at about 120kts.

It has been a long time since I last flew the 'dog so my memories may be defective, but these figures ring a bell. I have all the manuals in the loft so I might be able to check the precise figures.

My gut feeling is that the Bulldog is not really a long range IFR tourer, a role that might be better achieved by an aeroplane not optimised as a military trainer. You can definitely get two big blokes, full tanks and two nightstop bags onboard, though.

As for 'a cadet hour builder', sounds wonderful but I don't think many people will be able to afford to build hours at Bulldog prices. If people are looking to build, say 150hrs towards fATPL, they'll be looking for low hourly costs and except when the MoD used to foot the bill, that's not the Bulldog.