PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 7th Oct 2008, 08:01
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if twins are more likely (I mean much more than 2x more likely) to get an engine failure? Is there more vibration on the engine and accessories? Or are the engines driven harder, due to the typical operational profile? The control cables are certainly longer.
The reverse. At any rate based on FAA statistics the failure rate in twins is considerably less than double the failure rate for singles. Flying published a rate of 1.42 times.

The DA42 is supposed to be coming out with 170HP turbo diesels within a year - or so my friend who runs a Diamond Training Centre said - I'll find out more. I was flying the DA42 with the 2.0 litre diesel a couple of days ago and "failed" the critical engine on approach at near max AUW. No problem at all, could easily climb and managed a nice stable ILS followed by circle to land with no drama....The 2.0Litre has been de-rated to supply same BHP - but I guess you could chip them
Yes, Diamond's own engine is slated to replace the Theilert engines. Personally I doubt the 42 will get close to 190 knots on these but undoubtedly there will be an improvement in performance. The 2.0 litre is as you say currently "de-rated" and offers no noticeable performance gain but does have other advantages.

At what height did you initiate the go around? How was the airframe configured. Did you notice the rate fo climb and how much height was lost between initiating the go around and achieving a stable rate of climb. What rate and speed were you descending at?