PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 06:34
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fernadeztv,

Am I reading this correctly? You're a self-funded MPL candidate? Why?

At some point (like wanting to change aircraft, air carrier, or upgrade to captain) you'll have to break down and spend the money to get a CPL or ATPL. And the first Euro MPL's are now indefinitely furloughed...with no other flying work even available to them because of their qualifications.

If I wanted to fly the big shiny ones, and was willing to put up with 10 years of indentured servitude for a carrier where I knew I could go for 10 years without a layoff, the MPL might be an attractive option. But the push behind the license was as a benefit to airlines, not to aviation and aviators.

If you're doing it for yourself, and paying for it yourself, you're being ripped off. If it's a matter of initial training costs, you can get better value for your money (meaning more usable credentials) elsewhere, as has been pointed out.

And while you had a nice list of where the MPL is beginning to pop up, you're being a bit naive to assume that it is being introduced because its a good idea and there are no other motives. Remember, the guy in charge of that bright shiny still has to hold an ATP. An MPL with 20,000 hours (19,850 on type) still doesn't qualify you to act as pilot in command.