PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR transponder code question
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2008, 06:09
PlankBlender

Question

CAR256, "Jepp ATC 6.1 Pg AU717" = "AIP ENR 1.1.56.1.". If that's the most concrete statement in the regs, the note to "see and avoid" could easily be interpreted to the disadvantage of a pilot in case they caused an incident in such a situation, and subsequently find themselves exposed to a legal or other challenge..

I think you could easily argue, however, that continuous communication as per AIP ENR 1.4 Airspace Requirements was maintained if you got traffic via your mobile phone immediately before take-off, did all proper CTAF calls (which anyone doing an approach locally should hear) plus statement of intentions after take-off, and then called ATS for traffic updated once in the air.

I'm not convinced either way as per what the law is, although my ATO & CFI are sort of right by definition at the moment Funny though that all instructors I queries in my school (who are from various backgrounds and include some senior IFR pilots with serious commercial experience under their belts) were unanimous and adamant in their "no way" responses..

Anyone from CASA listening who could give a definite answer? This discussion could be a case of new regs / old habits, wouldn't be the first time..