PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duane's Retraction Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 18:36
Steveo91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duane's Retraction Syndrome

Hello!
As far as I know, Duane's Retraction Syndrome is a very rare condition, and as I found out after contacting the CAA aeromedical team? that it is fairly unknown as to what it is in the eyes of ophthalmologists. Basically, there are a different levels on which people are affected with the condition, and in my case it does not seem too severe. On a far right gaze, I will experience diplopia, however no gross diplopia on left. My vertical eye movement is totally un-affected. I control these symptoms by turning my head, which has come completely natural to me after being affected for my entire life. I am told to have excellent stereopsis of 60 seconds arc, and my normal eyesight is perfectly fine without any need of spectacles.
I've given the CAA a ring, and I'm sending in a prescription from my optician, but can anyone give me a little more information on whether I'm up to JAR Class 1 standards? It would be much appreciated considering I'm sending in my university applications very shortly.

Cheers!
Stephen