PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for an A Level Student
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 17:50
Steveo91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!

I'm also kind of in the same position as Rich. I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Electronics and Geography at A2 Level, and wondering how on Earth I'm going to make it in the aviation industry.
My plans are to venture off to Manchester/Loughborough University and study Aerospace Engineering, in hope of a pilot scholarship with an airline along the way (I spoke to the head of study interruption applications at Manchester, and was told it does happen) but I'm not sure how far a bachelors degree will get me. In my opinion, its better to have a degree under your belt if you're heading off into a tough career, just in case something went wrong, even something silly like a car crash, which could possibly end your career in a flash!
This is all well and good, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if it's going to work. I've got plans to contact a massive load of airlines in hope that one will offer me some kind of placement throughout my stay at Uni, but all I can offer is my A levels, 3 years in the Air Training Corps with a gliding scholarship course, first aid, Duke Of Edinburgh and a job at Primark...
Recently I've come across an interesting course at Bucks New Uni whereby they put you through your entire ATPL at Cabair in Buckinghamshire for standard tuition fees (£3k I believe, Air Transport with 'Commercial' Pilot Training or Pilot Training ), but then I predict that I'll just be like all of the other fATPL owners out there, sitting in a pool waiting for something to happen with little to offer .

Can anyone with some kind of knowledge in this field give me a little advise? I know I probably come across to you as just another wannabe, but arn't a lot of people here asking the same sort of thing?

Many thanks in advance,
Stephen