PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 6th Oct 2008, 17:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sternone

I dont know where you are getting your information? You say you have has a few hours in a Seneca and a few in a commanche?

Any aircraft will kill you if mistreated single or twin the only difference is the twin gives you more options. The single in the event of an engine failure means you are going one place and that is down.

The twin gives you the option of possibly staying up but yes you do have to be current and on the ball and able to make the right choices.

I have had three engine failures in over 2600 hrs multi piston time. One was a full failure the other two partial so maybe in a position to offer an opinion?

You quote a failure over mountains? The Seneca will maintain 16500 feet engine out! Are you referring to the Himalayas? As 16500 feet should keep you above most. The single will NOT keep you above any so I dont see your arguement?

>In case of an engine faillure (which you have more chance to happen than in a single)<

Yes but get this straight we are not talking about a twins engines being less reliable than a single but the pure fact that you have two engines and the greater mathematical chance that one will fail.

Pace