PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BULLDOG Info required please.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 15:57
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyingplanner

I take your point about the type of flying done and it's effect on the FI however the Buldog is not a very good aircraft for touring or IMC training, not because the aircraft can't do it well but because you are burning VP prop hours, More costly engine hours (lower TBO on aerobatic engines) and FI.

A Cessna 152 will do the IMC task at half the engine price, half the fuel price and a fraction of the Prop price, the same could be said of the PA28-180 for touring but it would only reduce the engine & fuel costs by about one third.

The bulldog was built for military training this involves a lot of aerobatics and in this role the Buldog is a superb aircraft the only problem being the FI issue.
My customers have asked me for an aerobatic aircraft, they don't want a tourer or an IMC trainer because they already lease the best aircraft for these roles from me and so if I had a bulldog it would be used exclusively for arobatics.

So it all boils down to the cost of the FI modification, once that has to be adressed I think that you may well see a lot of very cheap buldogs on the market when they reach the 114 FI mark.............. I await this day with interest.