PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 6th Oct 2008, 09:52
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are right of course.

My Seneca at LOP will not be far off your 17 GPH but i ll be 20 knots to 30 knots slower. The Mountain High system i have gives me comfortable rides at just below FL200

Of course the redudancy of dual systems is important, I should have mentionned it

But comparing like for like, meaning a piston Malibu versus a piston Seneca, I wouldn t like to cross a mountain range in the single, just a personal thing.

Yes in the TP I would, and yes the running costs are not that different, but tying up 500K versus 200K for a pristine example costs a lot of money in interest (15.000 @ 5%)

So we come back to economics.

From a single piston to ME turboprop via the Twin piston and the SE TP.

We all slowly move up. I learned on a Tomahawk (great memories over Norfolk) and moved to an Archer (first trips to the continent). When I first flew an Arrow III (to the Isle of Man) the feeling was great again, but the sorties were too often limited by weather. My real flying for a purpose only started with my MEP, One day it'll be a TP or maybe even a single engine jet, but i ll need to save up first.... Till then I just LUVVV my Seneca!

There is a plane for all of us, respect for the diversity!