PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is Mike Taylor? He should be famous.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 09:34
crisper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day lando4x,

Let me address a few of your concerns regarding CAGRO's at Broome. I can only speak of my experience over the last couple of years at Broome and it seems that circumstances may have changed somewhat since you last flew into Broome.

Firstly, regarding schedules. Broome traffic can get busy at anytime during the day, but recent changes to schedules mean that the main traffic peak is around 11:30 am until 2pm. This is when the traffic mix of RPT's and GA aircraft is at it's peak now, and cagros were initially established to address this diverse traffic mix, At most other times the traffic is mainly GA aircraft only. If it wasn't for RPT's there would be no cagro service.

Secondly, Frequency congestion. CAAP no. airways-3(2) para 3.1 states "A CA/GRO responds to the first broadcast an aircraft makes when arriving,departing or transitting the CTAF. Thereafter, the CA/GRO does not normally respond unless and aircraft specifically calls the service" In other words, once a pilot makes and initial call on the CTAF , that aircraft will be given traffic which will conflict with his/her aircraft from the CA/GRO and from then on, the pilot is required to listen out and copy any additional traffic which conflicts and respond if need be. Their is NO requirement for the CA/GRO to address aircraft already on the CTAF and update them with traffic because, as you state, those aircraft should already be listening out. In this way, frequency congestion is greatly reduced. This is where CA/GRO procedures differ from the old AFIZ and current ATC procedures of recipricol traffic and it was designed this way to specifically reduce congestion. I cannot speak for the previous CA/GRO's and procedures you may have encounted at Broome , but I can assure you this is how the system works at Broome now, and works well.

Thirdly, regarding safety at Broome. CASA has recently conducted a study at Broome and were very impressed with the CA/GRO service and, I understand may be recommending that the service be expanded to other aerodromes as a result. These findings should be published soon in their present review of air traffic services at regional aerodromes. Given the amount of traffic at Broome, there are very few incident reports submitted and certainly a lot less than many other regional airports with no service at all.

And in reference to a ATC tower, local operators are not in favour of this as it would cause substantial delays in their operations. You would no doubt be aware of the lack of a southern taxyway and numerous traffic crossing north to south etc. With a tower there would be no more following each other down the runway, no crossing whilst backtracking, separation standards applied in the circuit, I could go on and on. And I very much doubt if ATC would want to establish at tower at Broome without a southern full length taxyway for RPT's and other improvements to assist traffic flow .

I hope next time you visit Broome, you experience how the CA/GRO service is of great assistance to local pilots and why we want it to stay for the immediate future.
P.S. I think the CA/GRO whom you refer to is looooong gone