PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston twins, a case of love and serious airmanship
Old 6th Oct 2008, 07:51
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One could easily make the link to another thread currently running, namely why people quit flying.

Most of us start flying not hindered by any knowledge of what flying is realy about, we dream of long international trips, perhaps even flying for business.

During the course we re gripped by the beauty of flying itself, the sense of freedom.

After obtaining the PPL we all do our national trips, go for lunch an hour away on a friendly airfield, and then.... what then?

Then we realise our PPL doesn t quite give us what we originally hoped for. Often we are stuck because of weather, either at departure, en route or on arrival.

That is how i ended up doing my MEP and buying the Seneca.

I DID fly from Fowlmere as far south as Jerez or east as Bucharest. I WAS able to fly when singles could not (like in good weather crossing the Carpat mountains in winter, which i would never do in a single). The go no-go decision is more in your favour in a twin, especially a known icing one.

If you can afford the running cost, there is nothing to beat the solidity and safety of a twin, and the feeling of commanding a 400+ hp machine is nothing but majestic!