PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US EMS Pilots Are Not Very Innovative
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 02:21
WhirlwindIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

I would suggest that "one person" is each of us. Yes, to a point. What is additionally required is that we, each of us, recognize this situation is not being addressed excepting by a lot of alphabet groups and administrators who haven't one single clue about reality, just their concept of reality via whatever statistics they fuddle around with at the occasion of discussion - there needs to be a "gate-keeper" to all their well-intended convolution. That "gate-keeper" can get them on track - and it is not the IHST, or HAI, or any of those fascinated with process and data etc. It takes a leader!

Each one of us should be brave enough to say "NO!" when exposed to an unreasonable risk, bad procedure, bad policy, or wrong headed decision. In the company I work for the easiest way to the dole is not to say no, or fail to listen when a crewmember says enough, is enough. No courage required. It is really fun to say no, and then move on, knowing everyone is alive and well - of course the patient might still be in the dumps but better one in the dump, than four!

Major changes come from many small changes. True, but it is a LOT faster coming about when one conductor stands before the orchestra - orchestrating those small changes.

We have to risk our jobs at times to do this. Certainly a consideration, best handled by saying little, and lighting one's employer's imagination with the consequences of mucking about with professional employees who do know how to use the phone, the internet, the ........ it does work, but it has to be very subtle.

We risk our lives otherwise, so the choice should be easy, even though in reality it is just the reverse. The most important person on the aircraft is the pilot - if he or she, sitting on the pointy end, makes it home in one piece there is a lot of probabilty all others will as well. That alone makes it a joy for me to say no! I love it.

If pilots would begin to support one another in refusing to accept the existing situation and work together towards improving the standards, policies, procedures, and demanding.....yes...demanding the operator change regardless of the "minimum" standards now being embraced then the whole EMS industry will benefit immediately. Again, the company I work for will literally fire anyone, throughout the organization, who considers behaving unprofessionally - of course those who work for Brand - X might be interested in what you advocate (which is excellent in the short run), or come work with us. The minimums are when one stops flying, not when one starts to do so.

If you employer puts you at risk by providing you a single engine helicopter with minimum instrument flying equipment, demands you fly over dark terrain at night, refuses to provide NVG's, refuses to put autopilots on the aircraft, and expects you to fly in marginal weather....REFUSE TO VIOLATE PART 135 REQUIREMENTS FOR VFR FLIGHT. Stay over a well lighted area....and stay out of marginal weather at night. True. Ignominious defeat is the act of doing oneself in (however couched), with all good intent, but lacking in results. Not getting the job done via crashing, is just that. Sad stuff, but it happens in this very very immature industry purportedly led by mature leaders - not! In the US all the do-gooders inside the beltway literally have their eyes in the headlights, and not on the real ball - the ball they need to follow - the leader who can put it right. We need to find that silver bullet, and he/she does exist! The Warren Buffet of our problems.

You all do it....violate the requirement for adequate surface lights to control the aircraft without reference to instruments....I know I did sometimes. Why ever take that risk particularly in marginal weather. Nope - not a chance, and I mean it. Or, Yup, you're absolutely right.

Just say "NO!". Then walk away and watch the idiots banter! I once had an argument with a fellow about whether the aircraft was in service, or not. I told him it was my neck, not his, and if he wished to see his on the line, it was a phone call away - never heard from him again. The power of suggestion - it was delivered with a soft and gentle inherited English accent, just for effect. Good stuff.

That one step alone would go a very long ways towards reducing the death toll we experience right now....and have ever since EMS helicopters started flying. True - but the interesting thing appears the illusion of being pushed may be more bound in folks knowing they are doing the right thing - albeit with the wrong instrument, wrong qualifications, wrong skill sets/s - like a deer in the headlights. It takes leadership to keep them safe, from the top. The blood is on the hands of our so-called leaders, and some are starting to realize it.

It sounds simple....why cannot EMS pilots do that? Because they can't see the end of time - that just happens to be shortly around the corner.

If you are reading this and willingly fly over those dark holes in the terrain....why can you not find another lighted route to your destination or refuse to take the direct...dark...deadly path? Absolutely. I remember in RVN telling guys to stay a little closer to efficient transport routes so if the world turns sour at least they'll be able to thumb a ride, or confiscate a vehicle - lot better than crashing in the jungle! Different time, different hole, but the same ADM conundrum.

Like Nick would say - 'the more you have to convince yourself there is no problem, the more it comes to light there is' - or something like that. Problem solving ALWAYS distills down to the simplest of things - in this case it is the need for a single leader.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by WhirlwindIII; 6th Oct 2008 at 12:30.