PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 5th Oct 2008, 21:39
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winco:
And yet all you can say (and keep on saying) is that the aircraft is safe
No, that is not ALL I say. Yes, I do constantly re-iterate my firm belief that it has been safe since the accident, but I usually provide some detailed information why this is this case. I have explained why a worst case HP duct failure is not catastrophic. DV will tell you that if its not deemed "catastrophic" it doesn't meet the unsafe criteria. I have referred to the QQ combustion analysis commissioned by the BOI to prove that AVTUR does not ignite on surfaces at moderate temperatures thus proving that the fuel leak on XV235 did not warrant an emergency landing and it was not similar to XV230. I don't make this stuff up (others have done the work) to prove my point.
I don't dismiss you, and I think you are being unfair by suggesting that I do. I do, however, dismiss pointless rhetoric and personal attacks. I've known for some time that you are ex-Nimrod, and you are a very experienced pilot, but these facts alone are not a qualification to enter into a debate about current safety issues. Bring some technical input to the table and I will answer you. By all means ask questions, but do not say I am wrong when I give factual answers:

How many current aircrew have reservations about the aircrafts safety?
I don't know and none of us can know for sure, but they are not showing it to me, casually as a colleague, or their execs, properly. Crewroom chat should be taken further if it represents real unease. I cannot believe that junior officers have not got the guts to go to their execs with their worries. So, I can only presume that, in general, there is an air of confidence about safety. I do accept that the flow of information to the aircrew (and their families) could and should be better and the crewroom chat that I have witnessed has been more about those communication failings than the core issue of safety itself.
How many QFIs left, as a direct result of the loss of 230?
A few have left since Sep 06. I believe there might be one or two more, soon. Unless they are duplicitous, which I doubt, their stated reasons for leaving were not about safety. Netjets.
How many Navs, AEOs and AEOps left following the loss of 230?
And finally, how many aircrew have expressed serious concerns over the aircrafts safety and/or asked to be taken off Nimrod flying duties?
I don't know the answer to either question. Do you? Anyway, safety is not established by popular opinion. It doesn't matter a jot how many people agree with me or you. Technical analysis provides the answer and this has been done. It could be communicated better, though.

Regards
Ed