PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US EMS Pilots Are Not Very Innovative
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2008, 15:49
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Whirlwind,

I would suggest that "one person" is each of us.

Each one of us should be brave enough to say "NO!" when exposed to an unreasonable risk, bad procedure, bad policy, or wrong headed decision.

Major changes come from many small changes.

We have to risk our jobs at times to do this.

We risk our lives otherwise, so the choice should be easy, even though in reality it is just the reverse.

If pilots would begin to support one another in refusing to accept the existing situation and work together towards improving the standards, policies, procedures, and demanding.....yes...demanding the operator change regardless of the "minimum" standards now being embraced then the whole EMS industry will benefit immediately.

If you employer puts you at risk by providing you a single engine helicopter with minimum instrument flying equipment, demands you fly over dark terrain at night, refuses to provide NVG's, refuses to put autopilots on the aircraft, and expects you to fly in marginal weather....REFUSE TO VIOLATE PART 135 REQUIREMENTS FOR VFR FLIGHT. Stay over a well lighted area....and stay out of marginal weather at night.

You all do it....violate the requirement for adequate surface lights to control the aircraft without reference to instruments....I know I did sometimes. Why ever take that risk particularly in marginal weather.

Just say "NO!".

That one step alone would go a very long ways towards reducing the death toll we experience right now....and have ever since EMS helicopters started flying.

It sounds simple....why cannot EMS pilots do that?

If you are reading this and willingly fly over those dark holes in the terrain....why can you not find another lighted route to your destination or refuse to take the direct...dark...deadly path?