PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2008, 09:51
GAFA Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asacrj

Did you ask and got answer to all these question before joining your current employer???
For the most part, the answer to your question is: "Yes!"

If you'd like, I could explain the rationale behind each and every one of those Q's, but wherein the general idea is to garner some info about lifestyle & living arrangements, work patterns, remuneration, and safety, etc (and in case you didn't get it, those last 3 Q's above the "etc, etc, etc's"... in that list are by way of a little joke... that is, err, unless you do happen to have the answers to those?! ).

When you think about the questions & background checks that a prospective employer conducts upon a prospective employee, it would seem only prudent that an employee does the same wrt the employer. You might call it 'risk management by both sides' ?!

Perhaps the worst possible outcome, for both the employer & employee alike, is for someone to travel to some place far from home, no doubt full of hopes & aspirations (but maybe without the full picture?!) only to find that it doesn't fit with what they were hoping for.
It's quite possible that they'll then feel let down, disillusioned, unhappy... and thence can't wait to run back from whence they came. Staff turnover then gets high (which is expensive for a whole host of reasons), which then puts pressure on those remaining (i.e. they've got to take up the slack), morale then takes a dive, and before you know it the whole thing can be teetering towards spiralling inwards,

I'm sure that those at Arik have experienced the highs & lows of the start-up phase, and are probably now going through the pains of expansion. The hard part is to keep the momentum of the start-up phase, whilst consolidating what is there (building on solid foundations), plus keeping standards (and morale) high. That takes good management, and by all accounts the team at Arik are a good team (indeed they wouldn't have got this far, this quick, if they weren't! ). Imho, it also requires picking the right people, from top to bottom, hanging on to them, and motivating them.... which in essence is what 'teamwork' is all about.

I suppose, in summary, one could say that it's much better to have a team of dedicated / high-calbre professionals whom are where they want to be, instead of those whom are only involved as a short-term'ism, and / or whom arrive without the full picture, and / or whom arrive wearing rose tinted glasses... (which is somewhat ironic given that my excellent Serengeti sunglasses are indeed 'rose tinted' )

Many years ago, I used to work at the BA low-cost airline 'Go', a truly inspirational place with some of the best esprit de corps that it's ever been my privilege and pleasure to be involved with... a place where one of the overriding policies was about being 'Open & Honest'.... they also had a truly excellent scheme under the title of 'Go MAD' (MAD = Make A Difference) which encouraged the staff (both in house and also those of main service providers) to be actively involved and to make suggestions to improve things.

If ever any of you want a good read, then pick up the book called 'Nuts' (ISBN: 978-0767901840) - all 'Go' management were given a copy - it's the story about Southwest Airlines,... Nuff said!

I've digressed a fair bit in this reply but I hope you'll indulge the genuine good-intent that it's meant to portray?