PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia for ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2008, 02:25
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pabarret, like many people, you seem to be labouring under the misunderstanding that at the completion of your flying training you would hold an ATPL. Not so. You would hold a CPL + whatever ratings you add to that licence. Depending on what exams you pass you could also have exam credits towards an ATPL. I think this common misunderstanding is because of the entrenched use of the term 'frozen ATPL' in JAA-land. 'fATPL' is nothing more than a convenient shorthand to describe holding a CPL + IR + passes in all the ATPL theory exams.

At some later date, having accrued the ATPL min. experience (1500hr total + various subtotals is pretty much the standard throughout the world) and pass a flight test of some form you could then apply for an ATPL.

Similarly to CFI, I tend think that modular training is more cost effective, and taking advantage of Oz or USA training & rental rates - especially when currency rates are accounted for - would usually save money. Even so you must still allow for licence conversion costs on your return to JAR-la-la land. About the only time I'd recommend integrated training at the usually exorbitant rates is if a guaranteed *permanent* job is included after completing the course.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 5th Oct 2008 at 02:42.