PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2008, 00:27
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning, Max.

Might be time to do some more myth busting. For two reasons:
1. Remove the myth that ASDS-B does not offer extended surveillance over the Australian continent, and,
2. Reinforce the staffing matter - given the extended ADS-B surveillance capability ATC will necessarily be getting more RAM and MSAW alerts.

Re the first, the cover of interest to us is the 10,000'. Those who wish to debate the 5,000' coverage can deduce smaller circles than shown and base the calculation on the VHF radio range figures for 5000' versus 10,000' (although in much of the area shown I have no desire to be at or below 5000' of an afternoon as I'm not a big rap for unnecessary turbulence).

In terms of SAFETY and - given the cross industry funding - AFFORDABLE safety, is there anyone who wishes to debate that the ADS-B coverage does not make them feel happier about ambulating outback?

So what we have if Dick's proposition is accepted is a massive increase in ATC availability enroute. Couple that with the JCP TSO 146 navigator subsidy for moving map and terrain, but most fundamentally - all ADS-B equipped aircraft with ADS-B IN or TCAS capability being able to see each other - and someone tell me there is no safety benefit

(PS good news the way things worked out in SY/IRC)