PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Terms and conditions etc...
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 19:11
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However while you might be a green shield flt lt it does not follow that you will make sqn ldr unless that degree actually taught you something. Ah, I anticipated that all the "I attended the university of life" posters would be along to attack that post. But tell me, if graduating from a decent university is worth nothing to the Services as you appear to be implying, then why do the Services pay cadets to go to university?
Are you serious Cirrus? (Now say it quickly 10 times). How did you get from A to B via X? PN was merely stating the bleeding obvious - the benefit awarded to graduates was 'fair' in that a graduate in decades past was considered to bring a better academic background to the party in lieu of 'life experience' - it is blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain cell that the past decade has seen a significant shift away from degrees that could be considered useful to the forces - hell, to humanity even - ie away from difficult stuff like maths, engineering and the sciences, towards psychobabble, sports management and navel fluff contemplation, (media studies et al).... which are as much use to anyone as t1t5 on a bull.

Any sensible recruitment policy, civvy or mil, ought by now to be looking very seriously at the content of a degree before awarding any form of advanced standing for it - all degrees are far from equal. (Ditto all secondary school quals, actually).

why do the US military go even further and pay for their officers to do PhDs?
I doubt these PhD's are in media studies, Sports management, or Tourism...do you actually think it's a good thing that more and more such degrees are on offer these days in the UK, while (for example) physics departments are closing due to lack of student uptake - is that good for the country, do you think? Do we actually NEED all the supposed psychologists we churn out annually?

Dave
(Grad of the University of Life , thank God, prior to anywhere else).

Edited repeatedly due to bad typing caused by apoplectic spittle sticking the keys together....nurse! Fetch my medicine.....