PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Towing
Thread: Glider Towing
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 16:45
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nick14
Hi all,

Been searching for a while to try and find some info on flying a tug a/c and cnt seem to find anything, must be my tired brain playing up.

CPL SE and ME IR with 211 hours 91 PIC/PICUs.

can I tug with that?not realy worried about money just free flying would be great.

Nick
I hate to say it but whilst legally you certainly can glider tow with that, almost certainly any gliding club chief pilot is going to look at that and tell you to go and learn to fly. From their perspective, old fashioned "stick and rudder" flying in gliders, taildraggers, etc. carries much more weight - they're highly likely to regard the Multi and IR as non-experience since it's of little relevance to their sort of flying. Only double figures PiC won't help either.

On the other hand, you've soloed a glider, and that will carry a lot more weight than your commercial training.

My suggestion would be that you join your local gliding club (assuming they aero-tow), fly with them for 6-12 months as a glider pilot, build up some experience and credibility, and then approach the Chief Pilot about doing some towing. If you've come across as a sensible and competent glider pilot then the odds are that at that point you'll get a fair hearing and a good chance of flying.

G