PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 13:58
PAJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BFUN, The CTC course is similar to the Oxford/Jerez courses in that they will train you from ab-initio with the focus of training to get you into the right hand seat of a jet. How the syllabus is broken down will be different on each course, but you have to do the same skills tests and theory exams. Particular to CTC, they expand the multi syllabus far beyond the JAR-FCL minimum requirements (I have finished with about 65 hrs MEP time, with a further 50ish hours in FNTP II sims).

I belive both Oxford and Jerez, like CTC, include the JOC and MCC at the end of the course. This is the point where CTC becomes highly unique. CTC's partner airlines then take the cadets through type rating, base training and line training so you effectively finish the course with your CPL/IR with ATPL theory and MCC, but you also have a type rating and potentially 500 hours on type. Traditionally, all cadets have been fully employed by their partner airline at the end of the line training phase, but EZ haven't offered jobs to the most recent graduates unfortunately. Hopefully this is just a timing thing and not a trend, and the guys get something sorted soon.

So that's the main difference. Cost-wise, I think it works out cheaper at CTC (although I know some of the costs have risen lately). When I started, the bond was £60k (which you were able to get fully unsecured), Foudation course was about £4500 and then other costs such as insurance were maybe another £1300. That includes accommodation throughout the course (although living costs are on top of this) and use of CTC vehicles in NZ. Then once doing your type rating and line training with an airline, CTC pay you £1000 per month, maybe £6500 in total which is probably just about tax-free. If you deduct this from your costs, you are basically just paying £60k for your training. I can't give any really accurate figures, but I believe OAA's costs to be about £68,000. Then you have accommodation costs to consider whilst doing the UK phases which I seem to remember being something around the £5000 mark, but again, I am not certain. You don't have the type rating with this obviously, so if you have to fork out for one to get a job, you will potentially end up spending £30,000 more. CTC is a fantastic way into the RHS relatively quickly, but the bouyant market conditions are gone which will make things interesting for everyone. Hope that helps.