PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blues if not flying
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 13:41
Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blues whilst traveling to work..

I noticed that the new (lack of) initiative states that we are to wear blues whilst traveling to and from work, whether on foot, by car or cycling. The only exception is to be motorcyclists, for obvious reasons. Should make my 15 mile cycle commute interesting, I may be less than presentable after an hour of wind and rain on my iron horse. I suppose I could always change into my flying suit!!!. I wander whether they have any RAF approved free cycle kit in stores...

On a serious note I am not sure that we can be realistically expected to expose our families to additional risk with the terrorist threat at 'the severe end of severe'. Duty of care? Best wear civvies and change into that divisive green bag later then..

If I wanted to wear a uniform in public, it would be No.1s with medals. I would expect to upgraded when traveling on the train or by civ air though, like our American colleagues often are. Or should I expect to be detained at check-in as a security risk. Not very joined-up are we?

A better way for the AFB to spend its time (and money) might be to try to stem the unrelenting exodus of experienced tradesmen and aircrew leaving the Service in their droves right now. This kind of thing does not help.