PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2000, 19:55
Guido

Unhappy

Back in the mid-70's at that most brilliant of training bases near York a student had cut it a bit fine to have breakfast and still get to met brief. The Stn Cdr at that time was the well known ex F4 Sqn boss who, during a flypast for the freedom of St Andrews, called "Reheat, Reheat Go ….. Now" only to watch as his Vic become inverted and receive the admiration of all spectators except those in the know - his AOC was on the dais with the dignitaries. Anyway it was his foible to always enter the briefing room in an old barrack block just as the duty stude was at the "in 10 seconds" to the timehack. He would then arrive at his seat in the front as the stude called "hack" to allow him to say "sit down gentlemen". Pretty punchy and impressive stuff for abo's.
Back to the student who was running a bit late and now making swastikas across the short distance from the back of the mess with the leg restraints clacking nineteen to the dozen. A quick recce of the outside proved no Stn Cdr's car so the decision to attend met brief at the very last second (actually 30 secs) was made rather than skip it and hope the Flt Cdr wouldn't ask silly met questions. This was his first error.
Bursting into the outer entrance and pausing to try and get his breath back prior to slipping unnoticed?? into the back of the briefing room he was stunned to be confronted face to face with Harry Staish. (It was his other foible to turn up about 15 minutes early, hide in the room opposite the briefing room and take note of the arrivals' dress and the like and save the gen for when he could most abuse it as was found out by a young Sqn Cdr). At this point he looked at the red-faced spotty youth's chest and said "Late again then F****L!". Stude, still trying to recover his wits blurted out "Yes sir, so am I" . Second mistake.
Purple fit ensues and Staish storms into briefing 5secs late. Ego dented. Third mistake. (duty stude bollo**ed for being early with timehack - Sorry Ed I'll buy you that beer sometime).
End result: 2 weeks duty student for me, including timehack at early met brief and I never wore a flying badge with my name on it for over twenty years. Just as well 'cause I cocked up in Cyprus a lot later and got away with it, but that's another story.