PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blues if not flying
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 11:02
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
No Al, I imagine that people would observe the relevant NBC Dress State as directed by the GDT (or whatver the latest trendy TLA is) staff.

And I'd certainly recommend people to take it off and let it air before shoving it in the car boot again! Why didn't we used to keep it at work? Simple, no clothing lockers and NBC kt was all too easily stolen by others who'd lost theirs.

One lazy sod (a PPRuNer - You Know Who You Are!) had cut out a section of an aircrew NBC inner, which he used to wear on exercises pretending to be fully dressed in the real thing - but as only the zipped section could be seen, he got away with it for ages until 'someone' cut it in half. He then had no option but to wear full NBC IPE as we were only issued with 1 inner for exercises! After Gulf War 1, all the combopens, NAPs and BATs which we'd forgotten or failed to return used to end up in his desk drawer!

Of course it's always worth a good check of your respirator haversack; back in the early 1970s when we had squadron NBC stuff held centrally. someone issued me with an NBC haversack which was supposed to contain an S6 - when I checked all I found was a squashed coke can, an apple core and a mouldy sandwich corner!

Back to the thread; I really cannot see why anyone on a ground tour would wear a flying suit.

I once attended an EW course at Boulmer (in blunty blue) and was told that they'd had to tell other aircrew that flying suits were not to be worn for the course. Fair enough, but what sort of dickheads would expect to? Presumably the same as the pair of poseurs who drove in flying suits and aviator shades in a BMW convertible from Coningsby to Waddington for a 4-star briefing. They gave the impression of being silly little boys who'd dressed up to look 'kewel'...

No wonder there is some anitpathy towards inappropriate wearing of flying clothing! But an ALJ with blunty blue shirt and trousers, whilst contravening the regulations, does look a whole lot better than that paeodphile's pullover.