PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blues if not flying
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 09:35
Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pride....

i am with Co-Captain on the pride thing. Yes we're all proud to be in the RAF and wearing blues is part of that. For those of us who have the privilege of flying, there is an additional sense of pride in wearing one's brevet, Sqn badge and so on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Comparing flying clothing with overalls is to fail completely tp understand why we have that sense of pride. I speak as one who as worn both during my 20 year RAF career, and so I do know the difference. The fact is that flying clothing, like rank, is a symbol of status; those who have the right to wear it enjoy that, and those who don't may well envy it. Its just the same old same old, knocking those we envy. I would encourage those of you who allow your envy to get the better of you to and use that energy in a more positive way. Perhaps yoga, or maybe model building? Or you could apply for a job as aircrew and see what all the fuss is about. Job status and rank are, after all passing things, and we are all ultimately on the same team.

It is telling that the AFB chose to wear flying suits and leather jackets with blues as part of their US visit (see earlier in the thread). They obviously want to look the part. I for one will be giving this latest lack of initiative the ignoring it deserves, and am happy to accept the punishment for arriving at my workplace dressed to the the job I am employed to do!