PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 07:39
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushy

If you are basing your belief on Leaddy's post - good luck.

Leaddy

I'm surprised at the technical accuracy you trot out but the factual inaccuracy. However, you are an acknowledged ADS-B naysayer so we have to agree to look at this from different ends of the ground.

In rough order:

Yes ADS-B is a comms method. After that you bend it a tad. You and I have read the JCP and know it is not just ADS-B.

The JCP is a marriage of convenience of ADS-B and Navaid replacement. One about 60M one about 30M from memory? But, either could be done INDEPENDENT of the other. Just convenient to mix them because of the TSO 145/146 issue of VFR non-panel map display and IFR panel map display etc.

Who has claimed ADS-B saves CFIT - I think you will find it is a JCP claim re the married package.

Your questions 1 and 2 - I said I saw an article not that I had a brochure. I am certain from the article I saw that more is expected when the consortium publicly announces its package and its specifications.

So I can give you a definite yes or no, as you wished.

Indeed, there will be NO difference in the cost of installation, VFR or IFR, so why is VFR going to be slugged with/robbed off $5000.00, if the so far mythical subsidy ever becomes real.
Pardon? Would it have anything to do with both getting ADS-B but IFR getting TSOP 146 navigator subsidy for the NAVAID replacement?

And certainly the subsidy is only for ADS-B OUT. That's why a very smart marketer will include ADS-B IN as an INTEGRATED item so it is included as a given.

Can I quote you that Bob was right about 145/146?
145 is the chip and 146 is the chip and motherboard
Given the planned availability of ADS-B ground stations needed to give widespread coverage to low level (ie; making ANY kind of automated ADS-B -- or ATC VHF voice) terrain warning reasonably available across Australia at low level just ain't going to happen any time soon.
Well, that's put a bullet in the ATC watching over us theory (now whose was that again?) - looks like you are plugging the value of the TSO 146 navigator with terrain?