PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2000, 14:54
Jensen

fish

10-15 years ago during IOT grad parade. The parade cdr (Scotsman, now a S/L engineer - but a top bloke) does all his stuff marching the 150+ cadets around infront of CHOM shouting all the right orders as he goes.
There's that point in the parade where the parade cdr has to march up to the 4* reviewing officer, salute impressively with his sword (without stabbing himself) and then say something like:

"Number xyz Initial Officer Training Squadron presented to Reviewing Officer. Permission to proceed with the Parade, Sir?" (Can't remember exact words - but you get the general idea).

At which point the 4* salutes back, the parade cdr salutes, does smart about turn, and carries on. Problem was, this Scotsman (he told me this story himself) was trying very hard to do everything just right: the marching, the orders, the sword salutes, etc. So when he had marched up to the 4* and saluted, his mind went a complete and utter blank.

Panic.

After a very short pause he says to the 4*:

"Well, that's it then"

Then without waiting for the signal from the 4*, he saluted, did about turn, and went on to finish the parade.

A couple of hours later, during drinkies in CHOM, said Scotsman spots said 4* in the crowded ante room. Spends next 15 mins manoeuvring himself so that wherever the 4* goes, the Scotsman is always still on the other side of the room. Eventually, 4* catches up and says "Brilliant. I've never heard anything like that before, I was so stunned I forgot to salute back." Relief all round.

[This message has been edited by Jensen (edited 18 July 2000).]