PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 01:06
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bing

Wow, this airspace discussion covers a lot of ground.

In order, your two posts.

I say again, there is NO kickback in this for me.

I am being polite to you because you have stopped the circular whizz bomb GPS argument.

I note your comment on the cost of TSO ADS-B at an early stage of the marketing cycle - the article I read is at a different time I believe.

Not sure how you move to an association membership re airspace but I had a quick google and it was actually fascinating and since you mentioned it, worth a researchers thoughts.

A quick search discloses AOPA Oz moved their subscriptions from $40 to $96 in 1995/96 - a massive increase at a time of evident political internal unrest.

I'm uncertain who was President around that time - any nominations would be of interest as it is somewhere around the Munro / Smith era I think but uncertain.

My research supports your thinking. Citing Tony Mitchell on 17 April 2001:
As we approach this election we all need to reflect on the fact that Boyd Munro and Dick Smith gave us "Location Specific Charging" and "User Pays". Dick Smith gave the Australian aviation world "Affordable Safety" which in the light of the CASA initiated Ansett farce might prove to be an even bigger burden than most of us are prepared to carry.
Think long and hard before we create yet another series of costly crusades.The last thing AOPA needs is a messiah, what it needs is a Committee of 9 "honest men".
And you are certainly correct about the walkout of members thereafter. Citing Russell Kelly on 30 April 2001:

Roger, you and about 4,000 other members have left AOPA during the past 6 years.
That's 95/96 to 2001 - perhaps Dick is better equipped to answer your rich man's club thought?

Back to airspace?