PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blues if not flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 23:17
brit bus driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notwithstanding the latest raft of ads on the telly about how you can do so many things other than fly in the RAF, I assume the core target audience is young chaps/chapesses intent on strapping a Typhoon to their backsides? I do hope so.

Thus, a question......

When in public in short sleeve No2 (would that be 2B; blunty input required please), compare the number of times little Johnnie asks 'are you a pilot' with the number of times you get asked to help start the car/directions to the nearest wherever etc....it's a.n.other blue uniform in a sea of dull blue uniforms.

Wear a flying suit in public, complete with wings and perhaps those natty shades favoured by Pylot, and the future aviators identify you immediately. True, some aircrew can look a bag of $hit in a flying suit, but then they are just as likely to look so in blues as well, so scotch that argument.

Thus, in BBD land, aviators would wear flying suits, period. The USAF may have changed recently, but for some time, the grobag has been dress of the day for aircrew, even those in HQ posts? Bloody right too.

In my current job, the brave guardians of the autopilot are given a different uniform to wear to identify them as that. Crikey, one's name badge even has the temerity to identify you as a pilot....how elitist...