PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Fossett missing - Final NTSB Report
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 19:56
David Roberts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This time last year the FAI conference in Rhodes was to have presented Steve with one of the top awards. It was a sad occasion with the news we had then.

Steve was an adventurer par excellence in many types of aircraft. I believe he was an ATP as well as PPL etc. More particularly, in view of the location of the accident in relation to his experience, he was a world record breaking glider pilot. Not in the flatlands but in the Alps of New Zealand and the Andes of Chile / Argentina. He knew the mountains, wave, turbulence and the severe dangers. In my humble view it is highly unlikely he would make the sort of mistake to fly straight into a mountain unless he was either disorientated by sudden cloud formation, or I would hazard a guess, incapacitated. It happens to others.
Steve was an inspiration to those who seek adventure in the skies. I have found some of the wilder speculation here and elsewhere quite appalling.

May he rest in peace in the knowledge he got out of life the maximum, which most of us aviators can only dream of most of the time. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Enjoy!