PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 15:44
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigante

I actually agree with most of what you say. If you would care to read the full thread I have noted in my earlier posts that there have been multiple reasons for AZ's problems.
My issue, as I have tried so hard to explain is from a pure business perspective. Any unprofitable business in any country in any type of business cannot and should not survive. Period.
The reasons for the inability to be profitable are secondary and should be the responsibility of Management to resolve. It is unreasonable to expect taxpayers to continue to provide subsidies to extend, in a seemingly endless manner, the life of a perpetually unprofitable business.

Most AZ staff also seem to understand the true nature of the reasons behind the inefficiency and I would suggest, again, that this should been all the more reason why the Unions should have represented the best interests of membership in agreeing to the earlier AF/KL deal, including the necessary staffing reductions. This would have transitioned management to a more efficient and less corrupt regimen and would have addressed the true nature of the problems, with the vast majority retaining their jobs.

There comes apoint where you (Employees and Unions) can only do so much. If an intransigent and/or corrupt management and/or political environment is insurmountable, there are 2 choices. Either you dig in and destroy (Ultimately not very productive) or you look outside the box and explore creative possibilities for change. Including changing the biiger picture, like a new. more responsive owner, accepting that there must be certain sacrifices.

My interest in this is purely intellectual and in terms of a case study like for Business School study purposes. I have no ill-will toward anyone in AZ, or towards Italy or Italian people and I have no axe to grind against AZ (Except, perhaps, I confess, that I was once stranded in Rome by an Alitalia cancellation on a Christmas Eve which did leave a taste in my mouth which I would have preferred to have been from roast turkey with my family in Bangkok, where I lived at that time).

Last edited by philipat; 3rd Oct 2008 at 16:31. Reason: Typos