PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Couple of things
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 10:28
markpodbery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things

Hi all,

Firstly I am currently 26 yrs old. I have a successful job in London that I get paid well for. (I.T Manager).

Anyway I still live at home so don't really have any outgoings, but still at the mo have not started to save any money, somehow it just goes!!

I have always wanted to become a pilot, I have done about 4hrs rec flying with a friend, just because I enjoy it so much.

Anyway the plan is to start putting 1K away a month...

I think for me I would need to do distance learning which I would do at Bristol GS.

I of course need to get my ppl first, which I am looking at 6K, so that is not a problem, what does anyone suggest the way I go from there? How much cash do I need to push into a flying "job" if I am allowed to say that? Can I do it bit by bit so I can keep working and earning? Is there any problem is taking a while to get everything?

Do I try to get my frozen ATPL, then try to get bonded with an airline to pay for my TR? I know I am asking about things that are a long way off but I find the part from when you have your ATPL and what to do from there confusing!!?

I also want to ask what people's views are with the credit crunch etc, on the world of aviation as a whole? I know some airlines are going bust, but do we think this is just a slump and things will get back to normal where I might (just might) get a job one day? Or should I avoid the industry!!? This of course would not be an option for me!!

Many thanks

Mark