PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Green S.I.C's
Thread: Green S.I.C's
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 06:51
Buttie Box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this thread is about new FOs, right?

(...although, I love that, "Sit back and watch with the popcorn," smiley...)

I'm getting older and was never really bold. One of my university tutors once said, "I am your more experienced equal," and that has stayed with me throughout my life. I have flown with guys who are extremely helpful; I have been captain and hopefully mentor in turn to just as many. Back in the right seat again, I have flown with captains who, say, sit back and tut when I'm trying to get the FMS programmed before departure.

I believe it is an aspect in all walks of life where the bullied become the bullies, and it is a cycle that is gradually being broken. Personally I find the attitude more prevalent in English-speaking offshoots from the UK with phrases such as, "Grow some," and "Suck it up," but I do realise that that is an outrageous generalisation and I have no wish to offend.

As pilots I believe we're enthusiasts. Most of us have wanted to fly since we were young. This in turn leads to all manner of problems within today's business ethos, but that's for another thread, another time. As such, when new I might have looked at the top panel of the C-130 and genuinely thought, "What do all those switches do?" Now in dispatch, I look at the flight plan and ironically announce, "What do all those numbers mean?" It's then an interesting exercise gauging the response of your colleagues.

I won't waffle any more. The bottom line is that apart from a standard and safe operation, we are many different people with differing cultures and experience levels. How we choose to deal with the latter is called CRM.

BB