PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots blamed INITIALLY in 2006 British Airways crunching of lights at MIA
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 06:44
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm...

The pilot in command is the final authority and takes the ultimate responsibility but the outcome is determined by many things. You have the crew, the aircraft, ATC, the environment and lots of other things too.

Unless you think (or in some cases here, know) you are Superman then you have to acknowledge that you as PIC can be caught out by something such as lighting set up differently to what you are used to. It's easy to be wise after the fact but when events are unfolding it can be a different story. Afterwards, of course, you have to take the blame!

I used to operate at Lagos, where we could enjoy all sorts of weird features, missing signs, markings and lights, a taxiway that seemed to allow a direct crossing of the active but had no exit on the other side, another exit that saw you turning the wrong way first, humps, dips and big holes, radio blind spots for no obvious reason... You would be listening to some airline crew new to the place getting themselves tied in knots trying to figure out what to do next when there was nothing wrong with their airmanship, it was just a lack of local knowledge.

The ideal is having things the same wherever we go but we just are not there yet and probably never will be. The States can be a problem because of our sheer size, "We do things differently but so what?" is the basic attitude, as so succinctly enunciated above. You come to the States, you need to figure out how we do things. That really is sub-optimal, making us part of the problem instead of part of the solution but...

I once had a fascinating dialogue with the white man in charge of a new regional airport "somewhere in Africa". The exit from the runway involved two 90° turns flanked by deep, unguarded monsoon ditches. I told him that this was just an accident waiting to happen, when he pointed out the pale yellow stripes on the taxiway plus the fact that "Everyone has been told not to go straight ahead."

I had figured on a bizjet going in a ditch in the rain, maybe a nice, new GV. Instead it was a helo, when a main rotor blade flew over the terminal to land in the parking lot, killing no-one. Next week the ditches were covered!

It is just human nature that we have to deal with, ours and that of others.