PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 06:23
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan versus Carrier

Some comments

I do recall the odd effect on the approach angle when, as was my want, to stabalise on a 3 degree slope. With one's intended point of flare continuing to move away and having already allowed for wind effect I had to keep trying to regain that 3 degree approach angle.

Nor was I confident that all of the shooting had ceased or whether some gunner might mistake me for a target of opportunity. The last time I flew over an RN ship was off the coast of Korea and without any IFF in a Mustang I was greeted with a few rounds of AA. I got the message.

I know that the 4 ringer I had in the right seat was enjoying it all and looking forward to giving a broadside to their RN Lordships in London after RTB.

With restricted visibility from the Vulcan (XA892 I think) I was preoccupied in having enough clearance from the carrier's island and mindful of any vertical antennas to avoid. Consequently there was precious little time to get the intruder's ID and it was all over in a whoosh.

The three crew in the black hole behind had no outside vision and there may have been the odd intercom interrupt such as "what the hell's he doing now?"
but banter back and forth up front kept them in the picture.

I still wonder whether the ship had its 'landing on' cameras working. Must be someone out there who was on that carrier at the time.