PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blues if not flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 02:40
TheInquisitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are on the squadron and are due to fly that day - wear flying kit.
If you know you are not going to fly that day - wear your blue nylon slacks.
There are obviously some here who haven't read this IBN, or seem incapable of reading replies in this thread from others who have, so I shall iterate this one more time:

Nowhere does this document state that 'If you are not flying you are to wear blues. It states that if you are employed on Flying-Related Duties you wear a flying suit.

This means that, for those of us on a flying tour, there is nothing in this document that prevents you from wearing a flying suit every day you are in work. A Stn Cdr that interprets the document this way and orders 'Blues when not flying', is wrong - however, it's his Stn and his prerogative to do so, and, as has already been pointed out, this is not a democracy. However, he would be an absolute tool to do so and morale on his Stn would evaporate (assuming that there is any there to begin with).

So - what are 'flying-related duties'? We can easily solve this one, and perhaps kick this nonsense into touch in one fell swoop; All PA Spine aircrew, working at Gp, ITOC, HQ Air, etc - turn up for work every day in your flying suits. After all, the rules state that PA aircrew can ONLY be employed on 'flying or flying-related duties'.

If "Letter of the Law" is what they want, then let's give them precisely that:

AOC: "Why have you come to work in a flying suit, Sqn Ldr Bloggs?"
PA Sqn Ldr: "Because I am employed on flying-related duties, Sir"
AOC: "No you are not, you are an A5 planner here in the Black Hole of High Wycombe"
PA Sqn Ldr: "In that case Sir, I shouldn't be here at all. My TOS state that I can only be employed on "Flying or Flying Related Duties. Can I go back to a Sqn now, please?"

Ridiculous, yes, but so is this IBN, frankly. And some people's interpretation of it.