PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 02:12
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick

If this was not a farce it would be laughable.

How you goin' with that link to FSI?

Keep your mind closed as much as you want to James Michael, keep supporting the status quo and the exact Airservices/CASA/Department “don’t change anything” direction, and more people will die.
I'm supporting a major change that includes traffic information in the cockpit. You are NOT.

Now, Dick, I want you AND EVERYONE to consider this next quote by you today very carefully
If we wait until we introduce ADS-B and we have not conquered the total resistance to change regarding the procedures, we will not get the safety advantages.
I have before me a local magazine that tells me the following (clipped to save space and my red for emphasis):

Not just a mock up, this is a working airborne model that has been well tried and tested locally.

The unit should market for around USD $6000 which puts it fitted to a VFR aircraft out here just about bang on the $10,000 subsidy.

So far so good, you can meet the requirement to send ADS-B OUT so you are ATC identified – but what’s in it for you flying around in Class G outside ATC cover?

The real benefit is that it has the bonus of including integrated ADS-B IN so ADS-B equipped traffic can be displayed on your panel mounted equipment (e.g. Garmin 430/530, and even G1000 glass screens) or handhelds like your GPS or your Palm Pilot.

Dick, do you have TCAS on your aircraft? Dick, do you or don't you consider that a safety benefit exists in a unit fitted to Australian GA aircraft AT NO COST TO THEM that gives traffic advisory (with aural alert being added shortly).

Dick, have you known of the existence of this unit and been unusually reticent in sharing the information - because it would overwhelm your position that ADS-B offers no safety benefits? I think Niles is bang on the money - how do we conquer your resistance to change?

Back to accidents - here is some data so we know the number of cases in total, perhaps you can trot out how many of these were ATC and RADAR preventable.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/q...RPTCHARTER.jpg