PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 19:41
justifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyl999, Haha no you are completely right. The Boeing Stearman looks more sturdy than some cessna that students fly around in those days.

Regle, Nice to know that a Dutch ship transported people there, because the general input of the Dutch was not that big, in comparison to the other countries that fought in the war.

As you can see I used the word Dutch twice in the last piece of text. You told that Dutch people didn't liked the word Dutch. I have never heard of this but I can guess that people who lived in the war were not to pleased with this expression because the word for germans in Dutch is "Duitser" and this looks very much like Dutch. But nowadays i think nobody is offended anymore by that because for most people the war was a long time ago.

Nice to know that you have been to the Netherlands, also after the war. Sorry to hear you got badly hurt during your bombing run to leeuwarden.

Also another quick question. Where there many "missions" during the day because I can imagine that flying during the day was much more dangerous than flying at night?

Actually nowadays Airfield Leeuwarden is just on of the two airfields in the netherlands at which the F-16 Squadrons are located.

Your story sounds like very good flying skills or just very good luck but please continue your story because i am curious how you eventually landed the plane.

And you can use both Tot straks and Tot ziens as they both mean roughly the same.

Cliffnemo, haha, it is nice to read about your experience with your first solo because it was exactly the same when I did my first solo. No but you did you first solo when you had about 9/10 flying hours. When i look at my logbook I had 16 hours when I went solo and I think nowadays people go solo around 12/14 hours. So i was curious if you were confident enough to go solo already with 9 hours.

If have also a small question about the three point landings, why didn't your land on the main gear first and eventually sink onto the tailwheel. Was there a special reason for it or is it just to prevent the airplane from flipping over?

And thank you all three for the replies.

Groeten, (regle, do you know what this means?)
Justin