PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 17:29
grebllaw123d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flap and Slat system etc...

justme69,

I just read your previous post, and I agree with most of the contents.

But your description of the flap/slat system is not quite correct - I have in earlier posts made some input based on my 16 years on the type.

A very comprehensive explanation may be found in the report from the NW Detroit accident - try the following link:

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR88-05.pdf

section 1.6.2 deals with the flap/slat system.
section 1.6.5 deals with stall warning system incl. the AUTOSLAT system!
section 1.6.6 deals with the warning systems incl. the TOWS.

A short explanation:
The flaps/slat handles are in normal operation interconnected mechanically.
Moving handles to first detent deployes slats to MID.
Moving handles to second detent extends flaps to 11 degrees.
Moving handles to third detent extends flaps to 15 degrees AND slats to FULL extended position, and the slats stay there, when higher flaps setting are selected.

The AUTOSLAT function is part of the STALL warning system, i.e. if you get a stall warning with flaps below 15 - and ONLY in this condition - the slats are automatically extended to FULL.

An illuminated AUTOSLAT fail light shows that this feature is not functioning correctly.

BRGDS

grebllaw123d

P.S.: It is mentioned in post #2102 that takeoff with flaps 0 is normal on the MD80 - could be so in some airlines. In my airline we used flaps 0 on the DC-9-41 when taking off from high/hot airports. But on the MD80 it was NOT a normal procedure - normal flap setting was 11, but if required for performance reasons, we sometimes used the "dial a flap" feature to get a lower setting - I believe that 4 deg. was common.

Last edited by grebllaw123d; 2nd Oct 2008 at 18:19.