PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabair/Oxford ATPL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 15:22
Blighty Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G CEXO - "in this climate you have got to be mad". Would you care to explain???

Alright the economy is a little shakey at the moment however, the way I see it is this..... We (airlines) will always need pilots and once the dust settles (my guess 18 months - 2 years) the industry will be on the up, and bearing in mind people are retiering every day, and the pilot recruitment teams will yet again be scrambling around for pilots. Should you start your training now this will leave you in a good position because when you come to graduate in 18 months time and hopefully get work shortly afterwards you will make your way quite nicely up any senioriy list before the next down turn in the industry.
Typically the aviation industry runs in 7 year cycles. 1995 (Gulf War), 2001/2 (Following Sept 11) and now 2008 (Credit crunch). If I was a betting man I think 2015/16 will feature for one reason or another and that is why I suggest you crack on with your training if you have decided it is the career path you want to go down (especially if your passionate about it), graduate and then once gaining employment enjoy the security of being well up the seniority list

And another thing........ It aint gonna get any cheaper!!!!

Last edited by Blighty Pilot; 2nd Oct 2008 at 15:23. Reason: Remembered one last bit.....