PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 13:05
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call A Spade a Spade

Alitalia was a good company: the only big problem we had was that we paid every service not at market price becouse someone had to gain money: for example air france paid around 800 euro for a turnaround in fco, while alitalia paid 1200. We paid around 5000 euro for a turnaround in Pantelleria, while the othes paid 4000. And these are the ones we know for sure........

Most of us call this corruption and it is the ONLY reason, paradoxically, that AZ is still flying. If it fails all those sources of income and concessions are gone, which is why the politicos have been using taxpayers money to keep the money recycling back to their own pockets. The new rescue is just another cynical attempt to dump losses, accrued debts and retrenchment costs on the State (Aka the taxpayer) and buy the good assets cheap.

This is unfortunate BUT the fact is AZ, for a combination of all of the above issues, never has and never will be profitable. Some in this forum don't seem to understand that a Company is in business to make money for its shareholders. If it doesn;t it should go out of business.

The best option for AZ would have been a sale to AF/KL (Or another foreign entity with better internal controls and less tolerance for corruption) which is PRECISELY why Uncle Sylvio and the boys don't want to cede control. The Unions rejected this approach and I, therefore, have no sympathy.

You also omitted to recognise in your post that AZ, like most Government Organisations anywhere in the world is grossly overstaffed and has very poor productivity. Put this beneath levels of corruption and there really isn't much hope.

I rest my case.

Last edited by philipat; 2nd Oct 2008 at 13:07. Reason: Typo