PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 07:39
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Scurvy, You are a fundamentalist- that is -the way you were taught must be correct and must never be doubted.

Lets look at our nations capital.

If a G5 arrives with say ten pob outside tower hours (it happens) no radar service is provided below 8500' despite there being big mountains in the area and despite the fact that there is 24 hour manning of the en route airspace surrounding from Melbourne centre.

The aircraft is in a large black hole with no radar monitoring, relying totally on the pilots not making an error and the EGPWS system working.

This is despite the fact that Flight Safety International states that the most important safety mitigators to prevent CFIT accidents are ATC and radar.

At our nations capital we have both available ( from the centre) and use neither and you maintain this should not change.

In other leading aviation countries when the D or C becomes unmanned the airspace becomes class E and the centre controllers take over the responsibility..

Yes it may cost a few extra dollars - but why is that your concern? Do you know what it costs to operate a corporate jet?

We have Airlines operating into Launceston in cloud in Radar airspace but the controllers who are "controlling" them are not even rated to use the radar and you maintain that is OK.

I don't agree with you.

I don't blame you for the situation- it is a hangover from the days before radar existed.

To others- please have an open mind about what I am saying- the information came from professional controllers who have totally different view to Scurvy.