PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did A Bucc Fly Through Brough's Hangar
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 02:37
Porrohman

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine (an ex-RAF Officer who worked on Buccs for much of his service life) told me a story about a Buccaneer pilot flying along the runway at Honington at very low altitude with his hands behind his head. They never built any dual-control Buccs so it wasn't a case of the back seater flying it. Apparently, if you trimmed it properly and set it up straight and level very close to a smooth flat surface, it was virtually impossible to fly a Bucc into the ground because of "wing in ground effect".

I remember stories of a Bucc flying between the hangers somewhere. Might have been the same guy, also at Honington. There was also a large photo in a magazine in the 70's showing a Bucc banked at 90 degrees flying between a row of trees at the end of a field (near Lossiemouth?) whilst practicing for Red Flag so they would sometimes fly extremely low. From what I was told, the Bucc was one of the best low level aircraft from an aerodynamic perspective. I don't remember any stories about a Bucc flying through a hangar though.

Perhaps some of the former Bucc aircrew will have some low-flying stories they could share?

Last edited by Porrohman; 2nd Oct 2008 at 02:53.