PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I have to tell someone.....
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 20:07
beatnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to tell someone.....

...or else I'll burst.

Today I popped into the CAA offices at Gatwick and picked up an envelope that contained my logbook and .... a poo-brown rectangular plasticky wallet thingie - with the words "Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes)" printed in faux gold lettering on the front!! I guess you all know what that means.

Well - it took me two years, to the day, from my Trial flight to the Skills Test, I've logged 50h25min which included the 2h20m Skills test (a total which I didn't think was that bad for someone doing it part time).

It cost me a whopping £10,712 (but that's everything - lessons and flights in a PA28-161, medical, books, headphones, CAA fees, club subscriptions, exam fees, VAT etc). Thankfully I did most of my circuit bashing before Shoreham started charging for go-arounds. And I was lucky enough to wangle 50 hours of free ground school.

Anyway - I've told the girlfriend, and while she is genuinely excited for me (I think she wants me to take her to L2K for tea), I felt I just had to share it with you folks who have already got your PPLs, and with those who are still working towards it. It's a WONDERFUL feeling !!!!

Thanks to Ian my instructor, Angie the ever-suffering FTO keeper of The Diary and to Toon & Mark my RT & Skills Test examiners...let the real learning now begin!!

Nik